The Duchess of Portland
The Duchess of Portland photographed for the front cover of The Tatler looking very serene and practical in a nurse's uniform. She was president of the Great Savoy Fair which was under the patronage of the King and Queen and was opened by Princess Patricia of Connaught. As the caption comments, "The duches is indefatiagable in helping forward every good work, and in her home district in Nottinghamshire, as elsewhere, she is universally beloved"
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10268958
The World s Largest Pie...... Denby Dale, Yorkshire : The World s largest meat
The World s Largest Pie......
Denby Dale, Yorkshire : The World s largest meat and potatoe pie - The Denby Dale Pie - leaves the bakehouse here today for the " Pie - Field " where it was to be cut up and sold to the thousands of visitors in aid of charity.
The baking of the pie was started at noon yesterday, and into the pie has gone 4, 500 lbs of beef, one and a half tons of potatoes, one and a half cwt of seasoning, ten cwt of flour and six cwt of fat, salt and baking powder.
The village has been famous for its mammoth pies since 1788 when the first pie was cooked to commemorate the recovery of King George III from a mental illness. Since that time the pie has been baked at different occasions, the last being in 1928. Today s ceremony was to commemorate the recent Royal births.
5 September 1964
Williams Almshouses, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1890s
Inner courtyard with monument and resident ladies. The almshouses were built in 1631 to the memory of Henry Williams, a woollen draper in Truro. Williams died in 1629, bequeathing land and money in a charitable trust for almshouses to be built in Pydar Street to house 10 poor widows. The trust provided them with clothes and 4 shillings per week in money. The almshouses have since been demolished with the plaque moved to the gardens of the senior citizens bungalows of William's Court, Union Street, Truro, which were built to replace the almshouses. The monument seen in the photograph was relocated to Dairyland Farm World, Tresillian Barton, Summercourt, Newquay. Photographer: Argall
© From the collection of the RIC