Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com.au
Tel: (08) 6102 8352
Home > Sheffield City Archives > Industry

Industry Gallery

Choose from 59 pictures in our Industry collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Sheffield City Archives.


Certificate of admittance to the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire of John Roberts Spencer, the son of John Spencer of Sheffield, maker of files ..., 1849 Featured Industry Image

Certificate of admittance to the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire of John Roberts Spencer, the son of John Spencer of Sheffield, maker of files ..., 1849

Certificate of admittance to the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire of John Roberts Spencer, the son of John Spencer of Sheffield, maker of files who served his said father as an apprentice for seven years and upward immediately preceeding his attaining the age of 21 years within the Liberty of Hallamshire
Note: the certificate has the [trade] mark etched in lead attached
From an original at Sheffield arc02601

© Sheffield City Council - All Rights Reserved

Firth Brown 5 ton steam hammer, junction of Savile Street and Sutherland Street, Attercliffe Featured Industry Image

Firth Brown 5 ton steam hammer, junction of Savile Street and Sutherland Street, Attercliffe

This was built in 1947 by the Brightside Engineering Company and was restored and moved to its present day location in 1994.The hammer was used in forging steel rings for railway tyres and bearings in the steel industry

© Sheffield City Council

Art, Attercliffe, Brightside, Brown, Engineering, Firth, Forgemasters, Foundries, Foundry, Hammer, Industry, Public, Savile, Sheffield, Shops, Steel, Street, Sutherland

Rolling mill at Ibbotson Brothers and Company Limited, manufacturers of steel, saws, files, springs, bolts and nuts, Globe Works, Penistone Road, 1929 Featured Industry Image

Rolling mill at Ibbotson Brothers and Company Limited, manufacturers of steel, saws, files, springs, bolts and nuts, Globe Works, Penistone Road, 1929

Original at Sheffield City Archives ref. LD1145/3/2 (altrefno LD1155/6)Ibbotson Brothers and Company Limited was founded by William Ibbotson in Bridge Street, Sheffield in 1809. In 1821, then known as Ibbotson and Roebuck, it was at Bower Spring and by 1825 it was established at The Globe Works in Penistone Road.In a directory of 1828 it is listed as Ibbotson Brothers, steel converters and refiners, merchants, and manufacturers of stove grates, fenders, saws, files, scythes, edge tools etc. In 1846 the Ibbotsons were bankrupt but William Ibbotson re-established the Globe Works at Cross Smithfield and by 1862 the works were at Russell Street (later named Alma Street) where they flourished.In 1939 the firm was taken over by Jonas Woodhead and Sons Limited of Leeds but the name was preserved until 1971 when the whole of the Globe Steel Works became merged in Woodhead Components Limited

© Sheffield City Council