19th August 1939: A solitary deckchair in front of the esplanade on Portsmouth beach, Hampshire. Original Publication: Picture Post - 202 - Portsmouth - Pub. 1939 (Photo by Humphrey Spender/Picture Post/Getty Images)
1930 1939, 3361143, 54409, Archival, Beach, Black And White, Consumerproduct, Deck Chair, England, England Black, Fr18a M Rec Seas Deckchairs, Hampshire England, Holiday, Horizontal, Landscape Deckchair Holidays Europe, Lifestyles, M 54409 Pp202 Pkt2 Fr18a, M Rec Seas Deckchairs, No People, Pedestrian Walkway, Pkt2, Portsmouth England, Pp202, Single, Uk, White Format
Whitefish Point Lighthouse by Moonlight
The Whitefish Point Lighthouse illumintated by moonlight. , Whitefish Point is located at the extreme southeastern end of Lake Superior. It is a critical turning point for all vessel traffic entering and leaving this largest of all the Great Lakes. The Whitefish Point Light Station was established by Congress in 1849; since then, a life-saving beacon has illuminated these dangerous waters for mariners continuously. Today, the Whitefish Point Light is the oldest operating lighthouse on Lake Superior. The present light tower was constructed in 1861 during Abraham Lincoln's administration.'n'nWhitefish Point marks the eastern end of a notorious 80-mile stretch of shoreline from here west to Munising, Michigan, known ominously as Lake Superior's Shipwreck Coast. Of the 550 known major shipwrecks lying on the bottom of the lake, at least 200 of them are in the vicinity of Whitefish Point. The primary causes of shipwreck here are stress of weather and collision; the 1975 loss of the steamer Edmund Fitzgerald with her entire crew of 29 has become a world-wide legend. The wreck of the Fitzgerald lies just 15 miles northwest of Whitefish Point.
© Matt Anderson
Entrance to the Temple of Luxor, Luxor, Egypt
The Avenue of the Sphinxes towards the ancient Egyptian Colossi at the entrance to Court of Ramses II, Luxor Temple, Luxor, Nile Valley, Egypt.
The temple was built by Amenhotep III, completed by Tutankhamun then added to by Rameses II. Towards the rear is a granite shrine dedicated to Alexander the Great and in another part, was a Roman encampment. The temple has been in almost continuous use as a place of worship right up to the present day.
© Nick Brundle - Photography