Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com.au
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Europe > United Kingdom > Wales > Paintings

Paintings Gallery

Paintings, Wales, United Kingdom in Europe

Choose from 261 pictures in our Paintings collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Coat of arms 17th century Morgan and Tomkins Featured Paintings Print

Coat of arms 17th century Morgan and Tomkins

This image is from a copperplate engraving, and shows part of a roll of arms from Richard Blome's Britannia, an atlas published in 1673. It features the coats of arms of people who contributed towards the completion of the work a?? starting with King Charles II. Each page includes 35 coats of arms, presented here in pairs. These two coats of arms are from folio (page) 23 of the work. In old English, ans appeared as a longs (which looks like an f'), while ss appeared as fs'. Com was an abbreviation for County'. A number is assigned to each benefactor. Here are the accompanying texts (followed by modernised English where appropriate): 748. William MORGAN of Newton in Brecknockfhire Efq (Brecknockshire / Breconshire, Wales). 749. Vuedale TOMKYNS of Monnington Upon Wye Com Hereford (Uvedale Tomkins of Monnington-on-Wye)

© Whiteway

Edward, Prince of Wales from a sketch by John St. Helier Lan Featured Paintings Print

Edward, Prince of Wales from a sketch by John St. Helier Lan

H.R.H. The Prince of Wales from a study made by John St. Helier Lander for a full-length portrait published in the Illustrated London News at a later date. The supplement was published to coincide with the Princes return from a royal tour in 1922. The painting by Lander was later donated to Manchester City Art Gallery by the proprietors of The Illustrated London News. Date: 24th June 1922

© Illustrated London News Ltd/Bubblepunk

Painted Fabrics - Edward, Prince of Wales visit, 1935 Featured Paintings Print

Painted Fabrics - Edward, Prince of Wales visit, 1935

The establishment of Painted Fabrics Limited owed much to Annie Bindon Carter (1883-1969) who, in 1915, volunteered to help at the Wharncliffe War Hospital at Middlewood, Sheffield. She organised painting classes as a form of occupational therapy for soldiers who had suffered physical and psychological injuries (including amputations) during the First World War. At the end of the war Mrs Carter obtained premises at West Bar, Sheffield which were converted and equipped as workshops for a few men, with financial help from local people. After a visit from Earl Haig, the authorities realised the possibilities of employment for severely disabled ex-servicemen that the enterprise presented. In 1923, land and hutments at the old WAAC (Women's Auxiliary Army Corps) camp at Norton Woodseats, Sheffield were purchased by the United Services Fund and leased to the newly formed company Painted Fabrics Limited. Some of the huts became workshops, while others were converted to homes for some of the men and their wives and families. Original at Sheffield Archives, ref. PF/4/2/4

© Sheffield City Council